I’m a student with a new campus job, what do I need to do to get paid?

If this is your first job on campus, you must complete a form I-9 and submit to the I-9 office at the Atlas Service Center E17-106.  Once that is done, your department administrator can submit the necessary paperwork to get you set up in  Payroll.

If you are an hourly paid student, you will need to submit the hours you’ve worked before payment can be made. Please check with your department to complete time sheets. Tax forms and direct deposit can be done the same way as it is done for an employee via Atlas. Choose About Me from the navigation bar on the top of the page. Then, go to Money Matters on the left and select Direct Deposit Preferences. Next, select Set Up Your Account and follow the on-screen instructions.

When is payday?

Faculty, salaried staff, graduate students and fellows are paid semimonthly, on the 15th of the month and on the last business day of the month. If either falls on a weekend or holiday, the pay date will be the business day that precedes that weekend or holiday.

Hourly paid service, support and student weekly payday is each Friday. If a holiday falls on a Friday, payday will be on Thursday. 

Is direct deposit required for all MIT employees?

Yes. All new employees must submit direct deposit information online via Atlas or on paper when they are hired. This policy applies to all employees whether they are paid semimonthly or weekly. 

How do I change my tax information or direct deposit information?

You can change your tax withholding and bank information online via Atlas. You can also submit changes on paper

What if I do not have a bank account?

Because direct deposit is required for all employees you will need to open a bank account to deposit your salary payment. The MIT Federal Credit Union is a convenient option for employees who do not currently have a bank account. The Credit Union offers no fee accounts to MIT employees.

How do I get a new paycheck if I lost one?

A stop payment needs to be placed on the lost check before we can issue a new one. Send a written request to payroll@mit.edu and be sure to include your name, MIT ID number and the date of the check. Also include a phone number at which you can be contacted when the re-issued check is ready. 

Who should I contact when a piece of equipment in my office is replaced under warranty or returned in a trade-in for newer equipment?

Contact Jo-Anne Chute with the details. She will arrange to have a new tag number placed on the equipment or make sure the traded-in equipment is removed from the property records. 

I’m told surplus equipment can be made available. I want to provide furniture for a student office. How do I find out about anything available?

Surplus furniture is available for transfer at WW15 or you may contact Erin George with specific requests. 

How do I report a piece of equipment that has been stolen or damaged?

Notify Richard Janus in Property. He can help identify the equipment and provide information regarding reporting the loss to campus police and the MIT Insurance Office.

Does MIT donate equipment to charity?

After internal needs are met, MIT equipment may become available for donation to non-profits. Visit our WW15 Equipment Exchange.

I recently received some new equipment. It has not been tagged. Do I have to notify the Property Office to come and tag it?

No. Normally the Property Office will come and tag all newly received purchased property that requires tagging within 30 days of the last invoice payment. If the equipment needs to be tagged sooner than that for reasons of risk or availability, contact Jo-Anne Chute, Property Manager, to make arrangements. She should also be contacted if, after 30 days, the equipment has not been tagged or if you have received equipment that was acquired by MIT but not purchased. 

See Have Your Equipment Tagged.

I know that G/L 421818 is capital equipment and not subject to overhead. Can you explain when upgrades to equipment also may carry this G/L account?

Certain conditions that need to be met regarding upgrades and components. Briefly summarized:

  • The minimum cost for the upgrade must be at least $2,000;
  • The purchase requisition must carry the property number of the existing equipment to be upgraded;
  • The existing unit must be capital equipment (value greater than or equal to $5,000).

If these conditions are met, then the upgrade should be assigned 421818 capital equipment. 

See the Coding Of Equipment Purchases policy for more information.

I’m sure my requisition is equipment, but I’m still confused about which general ledger account to assign to an item. What is the rule?

For the full rule set for assigning G/Ls, see the Coding Of Equipment Purchases policy.

Briefly stated:

  • If the net cost of the item is less than $1,000, assign 420226 Materials and Services or 421900 Computer Supplies and Peripherals;
  • If the net cost of the item is between $1,000 and $4,999, assign 421827 Minor Equipment;
  • If the net cost is $5,000 or greater, assign 421818 Capital Equipment.

I understand that equipment purchases require certain general ledger account assignments. How do I know if my requisition is considered to be equipment?

Any item that will last more than a year, is operationally complete and can be identified as stand-alone is considered equipment. Purchases from the following product categories are normally considered equipment: furniture, computer, laboratory, scientific and test equipment, office and service equipment. The difference between Capital and Minor equipment is determined by cost. Computer equipment at MIT is controlled by property record beginning at a cost of $1000 or greater. All Capital equipment is controlled by a property record. 

What happens if there is unspent general budget at the end of the year?

There is a carryforward process.  For administrative units, requests are made to the EVPT to use the funds in the next fiscal year.  For academic units, the current policy is that unspent general funds are automatically carried forward in the academic unit.  The department has to provide funding or use cost objects with a surplus to cover any cost objects with a deficit.  Faculty controlled accounts and TA Health Insurance accounts must be carried forward in the same cost object.

How do I make a change to the allocation of funds within my approved budget?

You can reallocate expenses between cost objects and/or cost elements via the NIMBUS BTR (Budget Transaction Request) system, or through an email request to your budget officer.

There's a problem with the funding entries on the cost sharing child of my research project. Who do I contact?

The costing sheet on my WBS element has changed. Who would I contact to make the necessary indirect cost adjustment?

What is underrecovery?

Underrecovery may occur in a research WBS element where overhead specifications (F&A rates or direct cost base) are established at less than the current negotiated federal rates. More information can be found on the Research Administration Services (RAS) page on Underrecovery.

What is a costing sheet?

Costing sheets are used in SAP to provide the basis and rates for the calculation of Facilities and Administration (F&A) charges. During the monthly close the costing sheet process is run to charge cost objects with the appropriate F&A or fund fees; the costing sheet used for a cost object is displayed on the Summary Statement.