What activities at MIT are subject to tax?

In a nutshell, MIT has three main tax areas: sales tax, meals and alcohol tax, and unrelated business income tax. Under each category many activities are exempt. In order to determine whether or not your DLC has taxable activity, please contact Long Tran, 617-452-4532. 

What do I need to know about MIT's tax-exempt status?

MIT is exempt and should not be charged sales tax for Institute purchases made in the state of Massachusetts and many other states. The Massachusetts tax-exempt number is printed on the ProCard for easy reference. The Procurement Department maintains a file of all available state tax-exempt certificates. MIT's tax-exempt status should be mentioned prior to making any purchase. If a supplier requires a copy of MIT's exempt certificate, please view MIT Sales Tax Exemptions by State for a complete list and all exemption certificates.

Are moving expenses taxable?

The following expenses are taxable:

  • The cost of meals incurred while traveling to the new employment site
  • Pre-move house hunting expenses (travel, lodging and meals)
  • Post-move temporary quarters (lodging and meals)
  • Real estate expenses
  • Mileage in excess of the prevailing IRS rate (2018 rate is 54.5 cents per mile)
  • Storage costs

News and Announcements

In response to community feedback during the Buy-to-Pay (B2P) rollout and analy
The MIT 2018 Report of the Treasurer is available on the
Earlier this month, VPF helped guide the MIT community through a transition to a new policy