I’m a new employee, what do I need to do to get paid?

As a new hire you will receive an email with a link to the Atlas New Hire process. Included in this web based process are your payroll tax withholding selections and direct deposit preferences. If you cannot access the online tools on Atlas, you can download paper forms or visit the Financial Service Center for assistance located at NE49-4097, 4th floor, hours 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. 

I’m a student with a new campus job, what do I need to do to get paid?

If this is your first job on campus, you must complete a form I-9 and submit to the I-9 office at the Atlas Service Center E17-106.  Once that is done, your department administrator can submit the necessary paperwork to get you set up in  Payroll.

If you are an hourly paid student, you will need to submit the hours you’ve worked before payment can be made. Please check with your department to complete time sheets. Tax forms and direct deposit can be done the same way as it is done for an employee via Atlas. Choose About Me from the navigation bar on the top of the page. Then, go to Money Matters on the left and select Direct Deposit Preferences. Next, select Set Up Your Account and follow the on-screen instructions.

When is payday?

Faculty, salaried staff, graduate students and fellows are paid semimonthly, on the 15th of the month and on the last business day of the month. If either falls on a weekend or holiday, the pay date will be the business day that precedes that weekend or holiday.

Hourly paid service, support and student weekly payday is each Friday. If a holiday falls on a Friday, payday will be on Thursday. 

Is direct deposit required for all MIT employees?

Yes. All new employees must submit direct deposit information online via Atlas or on paper when they are hired. This policy applies to all employees whether they are paid semimonthly or weekly. 

Where can I find an online copy of my paystub?

Paystubs are available on Atlas for all active employees. Please go to About Me / Money Matters.  If you are no longer an active employee or student and you need a copy, please send an email to payroll@mit.edu with your name, MIT ID, and a description of your request.

Where can I find an online copy of my W2?

W2s are available on Atlas for all active employees.  Please go to About Me / Money Matters. If you are no longer an active employee or student and you need a copy, please send an email to payroll@mit.edu with your name, MIT ID, and a description of your request.

How do I change my tax information or direct deposit information?

You can change your tax withholding and bank information online via Atlas. You can also submit changes on paper

What if I do not have a bank account?

Because direct deposit is required for all employees you will need to open a bank account to deposit your salary payment. The MIT Federal Credit Union is a convenient option for employees who do not currently have a bank account. The Credit Union offers no fee accounts to MIT employees.

Where do I pick up my check?

Note: If you are still receiving a check, please see our direct deposit guidelines.

For MIT employees: If we have an office address on file for you, the check will be available in the Financial Service Center (NE49-4097) for pick up on payday. You must have a photo ID with you to pick up a check in the Financial Service Center. If we do not have an office address on file, your check will be mailed to the home address on file.

For students: your check will be mailed to the campus or home address on file in the MITSIS system.

Can I set up a deduction from my pay check to pay my mortgage, credit card, etc?

No.  MIT does not make deductions from paychecks to pay bills. 

Can I get an advance on my salary for financial hardship?

No. MIT policy does not allow salary advances. 

Can I get a payment for a late appointment directly deposited to my bank account?

All payroll payments will be made via direct deposit unless you have not yet set up a direct deposit preference or a manual check is requested. 

I found an old check that I can’t cash. What do I do?

Return the check to the Financial Service Center either in person at NE49-4097 or by mail to the HR/Payroll Service Team, NE49-4097. If you mail the check, be sure to include a letter explaining why you have mailed it to us and how you would like to get the replacement check (pick up or by mail). 

How do I get a new paycheck if I lost one?

A stop payment needs to be placed on the lost check before we can issue a new one. Send a written request to payroll@mit.edu and be sure to include your name, MIT ID number and the date of the check. Also include a phone number at which you can be contacted when the re-issued check is ready. 

As a Department Administrator, how should I pay someone?

You should contact your Human Resource Officer for assistance in determining the appropriate payment method. 

How do I find out what my vacation balance is as of today?

Payroll tracks vacation for support staff, service staff, sponsored research staff and post doctoral associates. Please send an email to payroll@mit.edu with your name, MIT ID and an explanation of what you are requesting, or you can call 617-253-4255. 

Why was there an increase in the Massachusetts Income Tax deduction in my latest paycheck?

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts allows for a tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) and Medicare taxes up to $2,000. The MIT payroll system takes this deduction into account when calculating the MA tax amount. Once the Social Security and Medicare year-to-date balances reach $2,000, your effective MA taxes will be slightly higher. This adjustment occurs each calendar year.

News and Announcements

The VPF Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) team has updated the list of all 
June is traditionally a busy month for the Office of the Recording Secretary (RSO) and the
During this time of reduced campus operations, VPF teams continue to provide support and gu