Types of Tax Forms You May File with MIT (Employees)


The following form may be submitted to MIT to adjust tax withholding amounts.


  • IRS Form W-4: Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

Used by employees to claim allowances or exemption from withholding

This form can be submitted through Atlas to elect federal and state tax withholding for MIT employment. Tax residency status should be determined before completing the form.

Nonresident aliens are required to select “single” for marital status and a can claim a maximum of one allowance when completing Form W-4.

Please note that if you change from nonresident status for tax purposes to resident status, you must inform VPF HR/Payroll. If you are a resident alien and wish to change the number of exemptions for dependents and/or change your marital status, you must file a new Form W-4 (not an option for nonresident aliens). The Sprintax Tax Determination System (TDS) will also generate this form.


The content in this website is provided for informational purposes only. MIT does not offer legal, accounting, or tax advice and services. This information should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a professional accounting, tax, or legal advisor. MIT recommends that students consult a tax advisor for individual tax advice.