2018 IRS W-4 Form🔒

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has released the updated W-4 form and Withholding Calculator, which are now aligned with the changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

As your employer, MIT recommends you review your withholdings whenever you have a major life change (marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, new job, significant changes in income or other changes to your personal finances), or if after filing your taxes each year, you want to adjust (for either over withholding or under withholding). Given the significant changes in the new tax law, VPF HR/Payroll concurs with the IRS and strongly suggests you review your federal tax withholding amounts for 2018.

A comprehensive FAQ on using the Withholding Calculator is posted on the IRS website.

Direct Deposit Form

Use this form to set up direct deposit of your paycheck.

Direct Deposit Quick Card

Use this Quickcard to learn how to set up Direct Deposit.

Financial Information for Graduate Students

Review this guide to general tax information for fellowships and RA/TA Assistantships.

Financial Information for Postdoctoral Fellows and Associates

Review this guide to general tax information for postdoctoral fellowships or postdoctoral associates.

Form W4 Allowance Certificate

Use this form for Federal tax withholding.

HR/Payroll Cutoff Schedule

Review this form for a quick overview of Calendar Year 2019 key monthly payroll cutoff dates, including late distribution changes, HR transactions, eSDS changes, salary certification, and pay dates.

Income Tax Filing for Foreign Residents and Nonresidents FAQ

Learn specific tax filing responsibilities for foreign residents and nonresidents.

M4-MA Exemption Certificate

Use this form to claim exemptions for your Massachusetts State Income Tax.

Request for a Paper Paystub

Use this form if you wish to receive paper paystubs from MIT.

Tips for Choosing a Tax Preparer

General guidance on how to choose a tax preparer to file your personal federal and state taxes.

U.S. Tax Treaties (PDF)

U.S. Tax Treaties

Withdrawal of Consent to eW-2

Use this form to withdraw consent to receive electronic W-2 forms and request a paper W-2.