How do I get help for using MIT Online Travel Booking and Expense Reporting System?

Contact VPF Travel at or come to the Travel Drop-in Sessions, Wednesday, 10–11 am in NE49-3100.

May I use my favorite travel agency?

Yes, Concur is an optional tool available to travelers and is easily used for simple trips. Travelers and departments are welcome to use any of MIT’s preferred agencies for longer trips. Itineraries for trips booked with Concur or with The Travel Collaborative (an MIT preferred travel agency) will automatically appear in the Upcoming Trips sections of the traveler’s profile. These can quickly be converted to expense reports.

Who should I call for travel-related questions?

For booking questions call:

Jessica Tam 617-253-2756


For Concur expense reporting questions call:


DonnaMarie Cusano  617-715-4747

Katie Diaz                  617-258-0370


For credit card inquiries call:

Kathy McGrath   617-253-8366

Kim Harmon       617-253-8360


For accounting inquiries call:

DonnaMarie Cusano  617-715-4747

How long does it take to receive reimbursement?

If the traveler has direct deposit with MIT HR/Payroll they will receive a reimbursement several days after it is approved for payment. If a traveler is reimbursed though a guest expense report they will receive a check in seven to ten days.

Do I need to attach receipts for airline tickets purchased with Concur?

Yes, some vendors provide e-receipts, but they may not contain sufficient detail so please attach the detailed receipt you receive from the travel agency.

What is the difference between a Travel Arranger and an Expense Delegate?

A Travel Arranger is able to book travel on behalf of someone else via the online booking tool, Concur, and an Expense Delegate is able to submit an expense report on behalf of someone else.

How do I activate my MIT Travel Card?

Please call 1‐888‐571‐1000 to activate your card. This number will appear on an activation sticker on the front of the card issued to you. Activation code is your full employee ID number.

Does the MIT Travel Card accumulate reward points?


What do I do if I charge a personal expense to the Travel Card?

Personal expenses will be deducted from the amount due to the traveler if traveler for out-of-pocket expenses. If no money is due to traveler, the traveler must send a check payable to MIT along with a copy of the expense report to Travel NE49‐4037.
When processing a personal charge in a Concur expense report, please mark the “personal expense” check box within the transaction detail. Selecting this check box will ensure the expense is not applied to a cost object.

Is the MIT Travel Card mandatory?

No, the card is optional. Travelers who prefer to use their personal credit card may continue to do so.

Can I get a travel advance?

No, MIT has migrated from advances to Travel Cards.

Do I need to submit travel receipts?

In any travel circumstance, each traveler must submit itemized receipts documenting all transportation expenses, including airfare, train and car rental expenses and detailed hotel receipts. For all other expenses, receipts are only required for any single expenditure in excess of $75 or for meals with alcohol and any local travel expenses regardless of any amount. A credit card statement is not sufficient. Receipts for business-related meetings (meetings/meals with non-MIT participants) should be included and the participants, their affiliations and topic of discussion should be included in the expense detail. Alcohol and airfare difference must be itemized. They should be charged to a discretionary account if the expense report is under a sponsored project.

Quickcard: ProCard and Travel Card Receipts

Quickcard: How Long to Retain Financial Records

Can I fly business class or first class?

MIT travelers may fly business class (or first class if business class service is not offered) for all international travel (excluding Canada).

For travel in the U.S. and Canada, an MIT traveler may fly business class (or first class if business class service is not offered) if the trip meets any one of the conditions below.

  • The traveler’s scheduled in-air flying time of a one-way direct or non-stop flight exceeds six hours.
  • The traveler’s scheduled in-air flying time of a flight with multiple legs totals more than six hours from origin to destination.
  • For roundtrip travel, one of the above requirements must apply to at least one way of travel in order to fly business class in both directions.  For example, business class is allowed for a roundtrip Boston-Los Angeles flight even if only one way exceeds six hours.

Travelers may fly business class (or first class if business class service is not offered) for medical purposes by providing proper documentation of a medical condition and receiving approval from the MIT Office of Disability Services.   

See the full policy here.