Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for assistance or to answer questions I have about completing the Direct Deposit Form?

Contact your financial institution if you are unsure of your correct Routing Transit Number or Account Number. Direct other questions to the campus Payroll Office, 617-253-4255 (campus employees).

How can I determine the Routing and Transit Number (RTN) for my financial institution?

If you have a checking account look at the bottom left corner of your checks. Usually, the first nine digits are the RTN. Contact your financial institution if you wish to direct deposit into your savings account or if you are unsure of the correct RTN.

What happens if I change financial institutions or want my paycheck deposited in a different account?

You can update your bank information anytime electronically via Atlas. You can do this from any computer on which you have a certificate.

When will I have access to my salary payment?

Your salary payment will be accessible earlier because you don’t have to wait for your paycheck to clear. Typically, your financial institution will credit your account on payday. In addition, most banking institutions will give you access to your salary payment through the use of your ATM card on the morning of payday.

How will I know when my salary payment has been deposited or the amount that was withheld from my paycheck?

You will continue to receive a complete earnings statement each payday, which will indicate the amount transferred to your designated bank account as well as how much was deducted for taxes, insurance and other items. Your salary payment will already have been deposited in your account. The amount of the deposit will also appear on your bank statement.

What if I do not have a bank account?

Because direct deposit is required for all employees you will need to open a bank account to deposit your salary payment. The MIT Federal Credit Union is a convenient option for employees who do not currently have a bank account. The Credit Union offers no fee accounts to MIT employees and the new MIT Direct Deposit Form includes an application for a Credit Union account.

Is direct deposit required for all MIT employees?

Yes. All new employees must submit Direct Deposit information on-line or on paper when they are hired. This policy applies to all employees including those who are paid monthly as well as weekly.

How do I begin using direct deposit?

You can change set up direct deposit on-line via Atlas. You can also submit your request on paper and the form is available on the HR Payroll Service Center web site at

What is direct deposit?

Direct deposit is a safe and confidential way to have your salary payment electronically transferred into an account at the financial institution of your choice in the United States.

Can I set up a deduction from my pay check to pay my mortgage, credit card, etc?

We do not take voluntary deductions from a paycheck for the purpose of paying bills.

Can I get an advance on my salary for financial hardship?

MIT policy does not allow salary advances.

Can I get a payment for a late appointment directly deposited to my bank account?

All payroll payments will be made via direct deposit unless you have not yet set up a direct deposit preference or a manual check is requested.

How do I apply for tax treaty coverage?

Please reference the Foreign National Tax Resources page at:

I found an old check that I can’t cash. What do I do?

Return the check to the appropriate Payroll Office either by mail or in person. If you mail the check, be sure to include a letter explaining why you have mailed it to us and how you would like to get the replacement check (pick up or by mail).

How do I get a new paycheck if I lost one?

A stop payment needs to be placed on the lost check before we can issue a new one. Send a written request to and be sure to include your name, MIT ID number and the date of the check. Also include a phone number at which you can be contacted when the re-issued check is ready.

How should I pay someone?

You should contact your Human Resource Officer for assistance in determining the appropriate payment method.

How do I find out what my vacation balance is as of today?

Payroll tracks vacation for support staff, service staff, sponsored research staff and post doctoral associates. Call 617-253-4255 to be transferred to the appropriate staff member to assist you.

How do I change my tax information or direct deposit information?

You can change your tax withholding and bank information on-line via Atlas. You can also submit changes on paper. The paper forms are available on the HR Payroll Service Center web site at

Where do I pick up my check?

For MIT employees: If we have an office address on file for you, the check will be available in the Financial Service Center (NE49-4097) for pick up on payday. You must have a photo ID with you to pick up a check in the Financial Service Center. If we do not have an office address on file, your check will be mailed to the home address on file.

For students: your check will be mailed to the campus/home address on file in the MITSIS system.

If you are still receiving a check, please see our direct deposit policy at

When is payday?

Staff payday is the last business day of the month. If the last day of the month falls on a weekend or a holiday, the last business day is the day prior. Weekly payday is each Friday. If a holiday falls on a Friday, payday is the day prior.

I’m a student with a new campus job, what do I need to do to get paid?

If this is your first job on campus, you must complete a form I-9 and submit to Student Employment.

Once that is done, you department administrator can submit the necessary paperwork to get you set up in the Payroll system.

If you are an hourly paid student, you will need to submit the hours you’ve worked before payment can be made. Please check with your department to find out what they’re local process is for completing time sheets.

Tax forms and direct deposit can be done the same way as it is done for an employee so please refer to the question above for details.

I’m a new employee, what do I need to do to get paid?

You will receive an email with a link to the Atlas New Hire process. This web based process will direct you to payroll tax withholding selections and direct deposit preference options. If you do not have access to Atlas, you can download paper forms ( or visit the Financial Service Center for assistance located at NE49-4097, 4th floor, hours 8:30am to 4:30pm.