4.00 While You Are Traveling

  • Travelers are encouraged to use the MIT Travel Card to pay for all business travel expenses. Travelers may not use the MIT Travel Card for personal expenses.
  • Travelers must keep itemized receipts for all expenses in excess of $75 and all expenses including the purchase of alcohol, no matter what the cost. Such receipts are necessary for reconciliation of expenses after the trip.
  • If the MIT Travel Card is used for local travel and dining expenses, receipts must be retained and provided as part of the reconciliation, regardless of the amount.
  • For food and beverage expenses, receipts are only required for any single expenditure in excess of $75. Employees may still choose to obtain receipts for all expenses for record-keeping purposes.
  • In the case where alcohol is purchased, Travelers must keep all receipts, no matter what the cost, so that alcohol charges may be segregated and charged to an appropriate non-sponsored discretionary cost object.
  • All food and beverage expenses for business meetings should be charged to General Ledger Account 421000 (Meetings - Food and Beverages). Expenses categorized in this GL account cannot be reimbursed from the federal government unless allowed by the terms of sponsorship. To substantiate the business purpose of meeting expenditures, Travelers must provide the following:
    • The purpose of the meeting or topic of discussion
    • A list of attendees (names and group association) present at the meeting
    • Itemized receipts
  • As with non-meeting-related meals, alcoholic beverages must be segregated and charged to a non-sponsored discretionary cost object.
  • Emergency Support: In an emergency abroad, contact International SOS to activate support.  International SOS informs MIT of a traveler emergency in order to mobilize additional resources if needed. Review the ICC Travel Logistics page for important details.
  • Please refer to the MIT International Travel Risk Policy regarding coverage for travel to high-risk areas.

In the event of an accident involving a rental vehicle while on MIT-related business, the MIT required procedure is as follows:

  • Traveler must file the appropriate reports with the local law enforcement agency and car rental agency before departing the business location.
  • Traveler must contact the Office of Insurance and provide the following information:
    1. Cover letter from the DLC, indicating that the accident occurred while on MIT-related business
    2. Copy of both sides of the rental agreement
    3. Copy of the approved travel expense report, reflecting the car rental
    4. Any correspondence received from the car rental agency, including repair bills
    5. Copy of the police report and accident report
  • Traveler should not pay for any damages directly. All demands, claims, or requests for payment should be referred to the Office of Insurance. If the Traveler’s credit card is automatically charged for damage to a rental vehicle, the Office of Insurance should be notified as soon as possible. 
  • MIT has contracted with International SOS (ISOS), a travel assistance company, to provide emergency medical and security evacuation services to faculty, staff, and students who are traveling abroad on MIT business. These services are also extended to faculty, staff and their families while traveling on personal business. Review the ICC Travel Logistics page for important details.
  • Please note that these services are neither a substitute for nor a supplement to personal health insurance. MIT Travelers must maintain their own personal health insurance and should confirm coverage limitations, if any, while traveling abroad, with their health plan administrator prior to departure.
  • For additional information concerning MIT’s ISOS program, please contact the Office of Insurance at 617-324-5031.

MIT’s preferred travel agency The Travel Collaborative plays an important role in MIT's support network for travelers. Travelers are encouraged to call on this agency as a resource during the course of travel as its agents can assist with mid-trip changes in plans and can serve as an advocate in the case of disagreements with hotels, airlines, and car rental agencies.